Monday 19 January 2009

Even better than that...!

Ok, so I send Husband to Lidl to get some wine. We have friends staying, and I should know better than to send two men unaccompanied to a shop, but I was a bit harrassed and I thought there would be safety in numbers. So off they go, clean handkerchiefs and shiny faces...

An hour later they're back with three boxes of wine. Sensible choices, so far so good.

Then they vanish. They're not in the garage or the garden, and not downstairs in the house. And they're very quiet. I smell a rat. I go in search. I find them in Husband's office huddled over an object.
'What's going on here then?' I enquire.
They leap apart as though caught with a bomb. No-one speaks.
'So, you got the wine, then?' I start conversationally, trying to draw them out...
Husband's eyes light up with a maniacal glow.
'Even better than that!' he says, 'We got a microscope! And it's got a camera for the computer!'

A microscope. I ask you. Never mind that we're a no-income family at the moment, until said Consultant Husband actually does some Consultancy.

Don't let them out alone with a cashcard. You're asking for trouble...

3 comments:

John said...

Some wine ... as in THREE boxes. A typo, surely, you meant to write "bottles".

claires inner world said...

Err, no. Three boxes. Just for the weekend. ;)

No point in scrimping on wine, even if there is a credit crunch. I mean, there are limits...

claires inner world said...

BTW I don't mean those boxes with the little taps on them.

I mean the ones that contain 6 bottles.

Maybe I should have just written,
'18 bottles of wine'.

But then I would have just looked like an alcoholic...