Friday 4 September 2009

Milestones

I have been approaching the writing of this post with some reluctance and trepidation. For a start, this is my one hundredth post on this blog, and I kind of thought I ought to write something meaningful, rather than the usual rambling nonsense.

Secondly, I've been away from blogging for a while. There are a few reasons for this. I've been somewhat child-bound during the summer, as a lot of people are... And we have been away to France for nearly a month. Although we do have internet access there, I do tend to use the time to take a break from technology, recharge my batteries, and read. Yes, read. I probably read more when I'm in France than I do the whole rest of the year. The way I see it, the summer is for reading and the rest of the year is for writing. Although I do try to do the two things in conjunction, it isn't always easy.

Thirdly, I had this, perhaps misguided, notion that my one hundredth post should see me illustrating the numerous and abundant ways in which I have changed since beginning this blog. Of course I have changed and progressed, but perhaps not quite so dramatically as I would have liked! I have a Diploma in Creative Writing from the Open University to my name, but other than that, not much is different. I still have two small children, although they are getting bigger every day... And part of my learning has been to cherish that experience, as they grow and change so quickly. I've realised that their babyhood will too soon be over and they won't want to know me, other than as a cash machine and taxi service... Next year they will both be at school full time and I will have ample opportunity to pursue my goals. Until then, they take priority.

Having said that, I 'keep buggering on' (as Winston Churchill said) with my writing. It's slow progress - maybe I'm a slow learner. But I have goals (to try to get some short fiction published) and I'm plodding on towards them, slowly but surely. Hope 'The Hare and the Tortoise' comes true for me!

Anyway, that's my one hundredth post. Normal service and (semi) regular blogging should resume shortly. Kids are back at school/kindergarten now and writing work whispers to me from my notebook.

Hope September is a fresh start for you all.

And as Confucius said, “It doesn’t matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.”

2 comments:

Lola said...

Congratulations on reaching this milestone, and good luck with your ambitions!

But, (and I hardly dare whisper it), my version of your blog shows 59 posts in 2008 and 34 in 2009, making only 93...

claires inner world said...

That is SO bizarre!!! I think something strange has happened! When I was in France I was doing some work on the blog and fiddling about with the layouts and stuff. Maybe it has done something odd. I could have sworn I'd added it up right!!

Or maybe I was just having a senior moment!!

Oh well, you get the gist anyway. At least I won't have to redo this on my (real) 100th post!!!